Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Obscure & Obscure II ---- Worst game I have EVER played?


I put the question mark there for good reason, obviously i have not played enough of Obscure and the second one to really be able to judge whether or not it really IS the worst set of games I have ever played, but still the question lingers: "Why so negative?"
Well, Taz and I were in Family Video, looking fr a movie to watch. Well, I immediately wandered over to the game section, hoping to find something that my catch my interest (and Taz's too). It wasn't long before Taz had come looking for me, and she was looking over the small selection of PS2 games, and that's when we found the game Obscure. We did not pick it up...but instead, went to the OTHER Family Video in our city to see what their selection looked like. That's when we saw "Obscure 2: The Aftermath" and we decided to rent it for 5 days because it was a horror game...but it was co-op.
Taz is not a huge fan of horror games, and while she likes to play them, she usually ends up handing the controller to me...so while she may not want to play, this way (playing co-op), she would not be able to pass the controller to anyone else.

  • The Storyline of Obscure II~
[[retrieved from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ObsCure_II ]]

Two years after the events of ObsCure, the survivors have had to move on with their lives. Shannon and Kenny are now enrolled in the nearby Fallcreek University, while Stan is making ends meet as a pizza delivery boy. Stan and Kenny now have to take medication to prevent the effects of the plantation from infecting their bodies while Shannon has been able to adapt to the changes.
As the story begins, a new drug created from a strange flower is quickly spreading its influence over the University's populace. Soon enough, a small group of students along with the Leafmore High survivors have to face a horde of mutants and stop the spread of contagion before the situation becomes critical.
The students meet a scientist Richard James, who is immersed in the biology of the scientific black spores, and aids the player several times.
The flower spore spread through the campus and affects the nearby hospital. Mei, who gets a call from her twin sister Jun, goes with Sven to rescue her, but fails when she is killed by an unknown monster. The player eventually switches to Corey, and he finds Shannon and her brother Kenny, who is badly injured inside by the black spores and turns into a monster with huge arms.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And thus the list goes on-and-on about people dying and falling in love...totally clich'e.

  • My problem with the game:
the graphics are wonderful, the storyline is unique...but there were a ton of things that I just could not stand about the game play. First of all, there was hardly anything to tell you how to use a weapon, let alone pick anything up...but while I could around that, the one thing I could NOT get around was the co-op play.
In co-op play, you are walking around as the man named "Stan" (who would be first player), and then the girl named Mei (who would be second player).
I was the second player...so, as Mei...I had the option to look at things and investigate things, same as the first player did, but only first player could actually use the option. I would go to open a door, but only the first player could actually get the door open even though it told me to press X and open the door.  So basically, the second character cannot use weapons, cannot look at certain things, and the first player was either Taz or my BFF Kirsten who would not stop and look at anything I told them to look at...

So basically you are walking around as player 2 who is a worthless bimbo that cannot even protect herself. It really pissed me off! So I shut the game off as soon as I figured this out...I was so repulsed. So I cant actually say that it was the worst game ever...because it really had me interested, but they really need to fix their co-op...because that was awful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment